Omega Fire have recently completed our involvement in Apex House, a student residential apartment scheme located in Wembley, London. The project is now the tallest modular building in Europe at 29 storeys high and was completed in a fast-track time of just 12 months.
We developed a fire strategy and provided construction support for the residential project which comprises 580 student bedrooms, a double height communal area surrounded by a landscaped courtyard and a gym. The development afforded us the opportunity to highlight our fire engineering expertise throughout all stages of the development, which included key design issues such as:
• Single stair design coupled with mechanical vent to justify the extended travel distances;
• Integration of the modular construction to provide an efficient design;
• Interaction of the residential and non-residential areas to allow connection without compromising on safety;
• Structural fire engineering analysis to provide optimum fire resistance levels;
• Support throughout construction to guarantee the strategy was correctly implemented, providing ad hoc solutions where the construction processes became restrictive.
Our innovative approach enabled us to achieve the design aspirations of the architect and ensured delivery of an efficacious project.